Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Welcome to my first Blog!

One of the many things that I've learned over the years is that a principal wears many hats! My hat this week is webmaster/blogger. We finally have a working and accurate website that will provide the Altona community with as much information as possible. I believe in proactive communication, and the website http://ams.stvrain.k12.co.us/ will have accurate and regularly updated information.

This blog is a little more fun. I'll talk about the school in particular and education in general, as well as muse and ramble about other aspects of my life.

This week I shared with you and the staff the thought provoking article A Nation of Wimps. http://www.nationofwimps.com/nationofwimps.php I liked it as a parent and an educator.

Thanks for reading my blog. Your comments are always welcome. Visit often as this blog will be updated frequently.

4 comments:

Mrs. P said...

Welcome to the blogging world, Mr. Mehsling! I know you've read many, but it's quite a different story running your own. :) You're going to love it.

"Nation of Whimps" is quite an interesting article. I look forward to participating in a discussion of it. I was especially taken with the description of cell phones as the "eternal umbilicus" which allow college students to continually engage their parents in their decision-making processes. I had never thought about them quite like that, although I recognize that we now expect to reach anyone, anytime and get very annoyed when we can't. Guilty as charged. :)

And I see you have Amy Winehouse on your iPod. Have you checked out Feist's stuff yet (she does the "1,2,3,4" song)? If not, I have her CD in the library which you are welcome to borrow. It's fairly mellow compared to Winehouse, though.

Again, congrats on your first blog!
:)
Mrs. P

YoginiLassi said...

Thanks so much for creating a forum to engage in important topics that impact our kids and our school community. I appreciated very much the though-provoking article, Nation of Wimps. I agree whole heartedly with the general position that parenting today comes up short in the area of promoting self reliance. While I think, overall, we have closer, more positive relationships with our children than in decades past, we do intervene too often, repeatedly taking away natural learning experiences. However, I was concerend with the rather glib and cavalier reference to the area of accomocations and recommendations provided school children. This is a topic dear to my heart as I have witnessed first-hand the devastating effects of non-recognized learning disabilities and the impact on a child's success in the school system. I know the author was speaking to accomodations when they are not truly necessary, but I would not want any child who truly needs accomodation to succeed in a mainstream school setting to feel that they are just not trying hard enough or they are being a wimp. I look forward to more discussion on this topic.

LRider said...

Ok, Mr. Mehsling, I've added you to my blog-reader. Now I'll be updated instantly when you make modifications to your blog. I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say about Altona.

Mrs. Platt said...

Love it!! What better way to lead then by example. Online communication and collaboration is the direction of our society. Thanks for jumping onboard.
Sherri